Patrick Battuello,
Horseracing Wrongs
December 2017
The fact is, if not for horseracing those 450-odd horses would not have been at that place, at that time; if not for horseracing, 46 of them would not now be dead, killed by wildfires.
This article by racing writer Art Wilson appeared in the Los Angeles
Daily News on December 14. In it, he chastises PETA for not offering
money/help in the wake of the wildfire that killed 46 racehorses at San Luis
Rey Downs earlier this month. I followed with a letter-to-the-editor; to
date, I have heard nothing from the paper. So, I have reproduced my response
here. It can be found after Wilson's diatribe.
By Art Wilson
Like the rest of you, I’ve read with great interest
over the years how much the animal rights group PETA cares about the welfare
of our horses.
You know the drill. They’ve picketed outside Del Mar, claiming abuse of the
horses. They’ve been very vocal in their distaste for horse racing.
So like many of you, I was curious to know how much PETA chipped in to help
in the aftermath of last week’s San Luis Rey tragedy.
I sent emails to a couple of executives in the industry, Mike Willman of
Santa Anita and Mac McBride, who’s been at Del Mar for a good number of
years, to find out the extent of PETA’s involvement in the relief efforts.
Here’s what they told me:
“I have not heard about them donating a single penny,” Willman wrote.
I can’t share with you the rest of Willman’s email because this is a family
newspaper.
McBride’s reply concerning PETA’s involvement?
“Nada. Zip. Zilch.”
Turns out, PETA did reach out to the industry in the days following the fire
at San Luis Rey.
Kathy Guillermo, senior vice president of PETA, emailed the Southern
California News Group with details about her organization’s actions
following the tragedy.
Guillermo’s email reads, in part: “I was in touch with the Stronach Group,
which owns San Luis Rey, on Dec. 8 and was assured they were on their way to
assess the needs. I contacted Joe Harper at Del Mar on Dec. 11. Mr. Harper
told me that there had been an outpouring of volunteers — more than 300 on
the first day — and thousands of dollars in donations. I was thus assured
that all needs were being taken care of.”
Santa Anita and Del Mar spearheaded an effort to raise much-needed money and
supplies in the wake of the San Luis Rey nightmare. They started a gofundme
page that, as of 1:55 p.m. Thursday, had raised more than $637,000.
But it’s still a fact that not one penny came from PETA, the self-described
champion of animal rights, and no member of the group showed up to join
other volunteers.
Yes, PETA made two phone calls. But while they were “in touch” with
officials from Southern California’s two major race tracks, thousands of
others were busy either donating money or actually on the grounds offering
physical support.
Wilson went on to cite "heart-warming stories" of the industry stepping up,
then closed with this: "It’s just an example of how much these horses are
loved and cared for and how people were willing to risk their lives to save
them."
The column, the editor notes, "was updated and revised to reflect PETA's
comments." The original, I note, repeated the word "crickets" several times
- "crickets," as in all attempts to reach PETA were met with a supposedly
revealing silence.
And my retort:
Regarding the recent Art Wilson article on the San
Luis Rey Downs fire that killed multiple racehorses: First, as a technical
matter, Horseracing Wrongs, not PETA, is the preeminent anti-racing
organization in the country - having compiled and published
first-of-their-kind Killed in Action Lists, organized and staged historic
protests at Saratoga Race Course and beyond, etc. Second, and more to the
point, the mere suggestion that we or any other not-for-profit entity should
be helping to bail out the multi-billion (that's billion with a "b") dollar
racing industry or that that same rich industry would have the chutzpah to
start a gofundme page is positively ludicrous. Worse, though, is Mr.
Wilson's complete evasion of this inconvenient truth:
Yes, wildfires injure and sometimes kill wild animals, but at least those
free, autonomous beings have a fighting chance. Locked-up pieces of property
do not. In a crisis situation, their lives are utterly dependent on the
willingness (or ability) of humans to help. The fact is, if not for
horseracing those 450-odd horses would not have been at that place, at that
time; if not for horseracing, 46 of them would not now be dead. In short,
horseracing owns these horrific deaths, just as it owns the thousands - yes,
thousands - of horses who are maimed and killed on U.S. tracks every year
and the thousands more who are brutally slaughtered once their
earning-windows have closed. Sure, tragedies happen, but this one happened
for $2 bets.
Upon further reflection, characterizing this article as ludicrous is far too
kind. Mr. Wilson's snarky ("crickets") indictment of groups whose only
mission it is to end animal suffering and his simultaneous celebration of an
industry that only exists to exploit - and, by definition, cause suffering
of - animals for personal gain, with an expectation that we should help fund
their recovery, is, in a word, obscene. Obscene.
Return to Animal Rights Articles