League Against Cruel Sports
June 2018
The attack took place on 12 March 2016 close to the village of Stathern in Leicestershire and involved the two convicted men and four unidentified masked men who punched and then pushed Darryl and Roger off a 14-foot ridge before escaping with one of their cameras.

Darryl being attended by paramedic
As you may already be aware, two years ago our professional investigators
Darryl Cunnington and Roger Swaine were assaulted by staff of the Belvior
Hunt. Darryl, a former police officer, had his neck broken in three places
during the assault, which took place as they monitored the activities of the
hunt.
Last Thursday, two men received suspended prison sentences Leicester Crown
Court for seriously assaulting Roger and Darryl.
Lady Sarah McCorquodale, older sister of Lady Diana, Princess of Wales,
joint master of the Belvoir Hunt and former High Sheriff of Lincolnshire,
gave a character reference in court for George Grant, one of the men being
sentenced.
George Grant, the Belvoir Hunt terrier man, and his son Thomas Grant – both
of whom pleaded guilty to charges of grievous bodily harm on investigator
Darryl, actual bodily harm on our investigator Roger, theft of a video
camera and criminal damage of a memory card – received the following
sentences:
The attack took place on 12 March 2016 close to the village of Stathern
in Leicestershire and involved the two convicted men and four unidentified
masked men who punched and then pushed Darryl and Roger off a 14-foot ridge
before escaping with one of their cameras.
Our Director of Investigations, Martin Sims, and former Head of the Police’s
British National Wildlife Crime Unit, said: “The people who are employed by
or support hunts often act like gangsters and this case illustrates what a
dark and menacing blight they are on the countryside. The hunts are a
barbaric throwback to crueller times and should have no place in a modern,
compassionate society. “The fact that both guilty men made 'no comment'
throughout this investigation shows their lack of courage when confronted
with the part they played in this brutal and unprovoked attack on our
professional investigators. Why didn’t the hunt come forward with the names
of the people who escaped prosecution when in court today it was stated that
those individuals had been given the role of shadowing the investigators?”
Four other individuals were involved in this attack on Daryl and Roger and
the League will consider a reward for any information that leads to their
conviction - get in touch with our Animal Crimewatch team.
Our Head of Field Operations, Darryl Cunnington, said: “l am very lucky that
the assault has left me with no long-term serious injuries. After falling
fourteen feet, finding myself unable to move, I feared I was paralysed. The
offenders refused to cooperate with the police and showed no remorse or
concern. They must both think they are very fortunate not to have gone to
prison today.”
Our Field Operator, Roger Swaine, who was also assaulted, said: “The
Investigations team have a policy of non-interference and we are there
purely to record any hunting or other cruelty offences. We were filming the
Belvoir Hunt from a public bridleway from a distance of 1km. This violent
response by an employee of the Hunt and five others was unprovoked and a
complete overreaction.”
The East Midland BBC Inside Out programme filmed with the investigators
during the 2016 fox hunting season and took footage of the aftermath of the
assault and shared it on their Facebook account.
The case comes 14 years after fox hunting was banned in England and Wales
with the introduction of the Hunting Act 2004 which came into force in 2005.
Our professional investigators monitor hunts across the UK to obtain
evidence that they are still illegally chasing and killing foxes, hares and
deer.
Our Interim CEO, Andy Knott, said: “We are proud of Darryl and Roger – their
courage and integrity stands head and shoulders above the people that
attacked them.”
Return to: Litigation