Thank you to SCAR - Student Coalition for Animal Rights of SUNY
(State University of New York) New Paltz campus, we had a fantastic
demonstration at 7:30 a.m. on a bright morning in September. We
were there to meet and greet the folks who were coming to New Paltz
to run in a fundraiser for Mohonk Preserve that morning. Cars passed
us, most giving thumbs up and honking in agreement that Mohonk should
not allow hunting. (Photo-left: Ayotte and April Daly - by Anne
Some reasons not to hunt at Mohonk are the following:
- The mature forest keeps the deer population low.
- By their own count, Mohonk has only 1 deer per 10 acres.
- Hunting will only serve to increase the population they claim
they wish to reduce as hunters are taking the bucks
- Mohonk sells permits to hunt and should not profit from the
killing of wildlife .
- Selling hunting licenses is not cost effective. Many members
have protested the fact that they are allowing hunting, and many
more refuse to become members because they permit hunting.
- Mohonk is creating a dangerous situation for hikers and other
outdoor users of the property. (Mohonk actually tired to get a
bill passed that would absolve them of liability should someone
be injured or killed on their property).
- A companion dog was shot by a hunter at Mohonk several years
- Lead bullets are used, leaching into the soil and water.
Please continue to write to: Mohonk Preserve, Sara Senior, Pres.
POB 715, NP, NY 12561-0715, 845-255-0919, email@example.com