Hunting Accident File > Safe Hunting?

Hunter catches fire, falls off tree stand, dies

November 5, 2011

From KBJR.com

Authorities say he was trying to light a propane heater on first day of season

DULUTH, Minn. — An 84-year-old hunter caught his clothes on fire in a deer stand, then died after falling out of the tree on Saturday morning, authorities said.

Arthur Joseph Knafla of Maple Grove was pronounced dead at the scene, NBC station KBJR reported. The accident occurred in Lavell Township, southeast of Hibbing, the Star-Tribune reported.

According to the St. Louis County Sheriff's Office, Knafla was attempting to light a propane heater in his partially enclosed deer stand when his clothes caught fire. Knafla then fell from his deer stand.

A Meadowlands ambulance responded to the incident.

Saturday was the opening day of the Minnesota deer hunting firearms season.

This article includes reporting from NBC station KBJR of Superior, Wisc., and msnbc.com staff.

Return to Hunting Accident Index

Fair Use Notice: This document may contain copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owners. We believe that this not-for-profit, educational use on the Web constitutes a fair use of the copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law). If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.


Home  |  About  |  Campaigns  |  Crisis Center  |  Activists  |  Media  |  Hunting Accidents  |  Newsletter

P.O. Box 13815, Las Cruces, NM 88013
Phone: 575-640-7372
E-mail: [email protected] 
Joe Miele - President


C.A.S.H. is a committee of Wildlife Watch, Inc.
a 501(c)3 Not-for-Profit Corporation.
Contributions are tax-deductible.

All content copyright C.A.S.H. unless otherwise noted.

We welcome your comments

Thank you for visiting all-creatures.org

Sponsored & Maintained by The Mary T. and Frank L. Hoffman Family Foundation