Hunting Accident File > VIOLATIONS > 2006

Buyck trapper faces multiple charges

Monday, January 30, 2006 Volume 17, Issue 4

By Tom Klein

Department of Natural Resource officers found the decomposed remains of white-tailed deer, pine marten, fisher and other wildlife in the possession of a Buyck trapper and taxidermist, who faces eight years in prison and $20,000 in fines on multiple charges.

James Andrew Brattrud, 30, made his initial court appearance on Jan. 13 in St. Louis County District Court in Hibbing. No trial date on the charges has been set.

In addition to natural resource offenses, Brattrud has been charged with two weapons violations for possession of a pistol without a permit and a short-barreled shotgun. Other violations include possession of prohibited wild animals, wanton waste of a protected animal, overlimits of bass and northern pike, taking small game without a license and failure to have a license to mount specimens of wild animals.

“In terms of wanton waste, this is the worst case that I’ve ever seen,” said Conservation Officer Steve Beckman, a 12year veteran who assisted in the investigation. “Other officers told me the same thing.”

Investigation’s start

The DNR launched its investigation of Brattrud in January 2003 after Conservation Officer Troy Fondie, of Orr, received a complaint of a dog caught in a snare in the Crane Lake area. Fondie located the snare sites of Brattrud, who denied catching the dog.

Fondie documented several violations believed to be committed by Brattrud, including failure to tend snares daily and no identification affixed to snares.

A follow-up investigation in February at Brattrud’s taxidermy shop Northwoods Wildlife Studio uncovered additional alleged violations, including multiple record-keeping offenses. A large number of furbearing animals were stacked on top of a freezer in the porch and other furbearing animals were inside the kitchen area, including muskrat, pine marten, red fox, weasel and red squirrel in different stages of decay.

During the February visit, Fondie noticed several snares that had what appeared to be fisher hair on the cables. Brattrud acknowledged that the fisher were accidentally killed while attempting to release them. The following day, Brattrud turned over four illegal fisher to the officer.

Minnesota law says a person may not possess or transport a fisher, otter, pine marten, fox, bobcat, lynx, or gray wolf that was accidentally killed until the person notifies the local conservation officer, other authorized department employee, or regional enforcement office, of the killing and receives authorization to possess, transport, or skin the animal.

In late February 2003, Fondie received information from the St. Louis County Sheriff’s Department regarding a complaint from someone who had failed to receive a fisher they had bought from Brattrud.

Brattrud’s small game privileges were revoked in March 2003 after being convicted of having no identification on snares and failure to tend snares daily.

Investigation expanded

Fondie subsequently requested assistance from the DNR’s Special Investigations Unit for additional assistance in the investigation of Brattrud’s trapping activities.

During the early phase of the investigation conducted on Sept. 19, 2003, Brattrud guided two conservation officer investigators on a black bear hunt in the Buyck area. At that time, Brattrud was a licensed DNR bear hunter’s guide.

On the second day of the guided hunt, the officers were shown where the bear baits were stored. They also observed a broken freezer in the building that reeked of decaying bear hides and other decomposed wild animals that were unidentifiable. Officers also noticed several decomposing beaver and raccoon carcasses on the floor of a nearby fur shed. Violations were documented and, based upon additional information received that indicated Brattrud was violating terms of his small game license revocation, the investigation was extended into the trapping season.

During the open trapping season in December 2003 and December 2004, the officers documented Brattrud trapping in violation of his revocation status, which included the taking of eight fisher/pine marten over the limit. The current harvest limit for fisher/marten is five animals combined. The decomposed remains of a red fox were also found in one of the many traps Brattrud had set in the area.

On Dec. 11, 2004, Fondie encountered Brattrud in the woods south of Crane Lake again setting snares without the required identification on them. Brattrud was cited for the offense and convicted on Jan. 5, 2005. This violation, along with violations in 2003, again resulted in his small game privileges being revoked.

Based upon the evidence collected and personal observations by conservation officers, a search warrant was served on Brattrud’s residence on Jan. 26, 2005. Conservation officers subsequently seized two whole and spoiled white-tailed deer taken during the 2003 Minnesota firearm deer season, nine whole bass which exceeded the state limit of six, one whole northern pike and northern pike fillets totaling one fish over the limit, and one illegal short-barreled shotgun.

On April 4, 2005, conservation officers returned to the Buyck area where they believed traps and snares set by Brattrud still remained active during closed season. The officers were able to locate the decomposed remains of several pine marten, otter, and muskrat still in the traps and snares.

Little relief for customers

Beckman said customers who left wildlife or fish with Brattrud may be left with little recourse. Brattrud failed to keep current records and without evidence of a contract, it may be difficult for customers who paid fees to Brattrud to recover their funds.

“I feel bad for the people,” said Beckman, “especially for younger kids, who had probably left their first-caught bass at the shop. I spoke to people who said they left several specimens there and gave Brattrud a substantial sum of money and they may never see anything.”

Brattrud had some records dating back several years, according to Beckman, and some of the decomposition of animals was caused by a malfunctioning freezer. However, it appears Brattrud made no attempt to notify those whose trophies were damaged and reportedly changed his phone number to avoid customer complaints.

Fondie said Brattrud’s actions should not reflect on all trappers.

“The goal is not to give the sport of trapping a black eye,” he said. “Trapping is still alive and well. It’s a part of our heritage.

“But as game wardens, we have to make sure there is a fair and equitable harvest and that rules of the season are followed,” he continued. “We’re the referees in a bigger field.”

Those who left items with Brattrud or have further information to share that may assist the case can contact the DNR Special Investigations Office at 651-355-0165.

Return to Hunting Violations index

Fair Use Notice: This document may contain copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owners. We believe that this not-for-profit, educational use on the Web constitutes a fair use of the copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law). If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.


Home  |  About  |  Campaigns  |  Crisis Center  |  Activists  |  Media  |  Hunting Accidents  |  Newsletter

PO Box 562 New Paltz, NY 12561
Phone 845-256-1400 Fax 845-818-3622
E-mail: [email protected]
Anne Muller - President


C.A.S.H. is a committee of Wildlife Watch, Inc.
a 501(c)3 Not-for-Profit Corporation.
Contributions are tax-deductible.

All content copyright C.A.S.H. unless otherwise noted.

We welcome your comments

Thank you for visiting all-creatures.org

Sponsored & Maintained by The Mary T. and Frank L. Hoffman Family Foundation