Texas Caviar (Black-eyed Pea Salsa or Salad)
by Susan Voisin (http://www.fatfreevegan.com/appetizers/texas.shtml)
This recipe makes a Texas-sized amount of salsa, so halve it if
2 cans (16 ounces each) black-eyed peas
2 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) corn
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 large red onion, chopped
1-2 jalapeños, seeded and chopped
6 roma tomatoes
1 tbsp. minced chipotle pepper (canned in adobo sauce)
1 large clove garlic, crushed
2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tbsp. Tabasco sauce
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup water
- Drain and rinse black-eyed peas. Combine in a large bowl with
corn, chopped peppers, onions, and tomatoes.
- Mix chipotle pepper, water, vinegar, Tabasco, sugar, garlic, salt
- Pour over salad and stir gently to coat.
- Refrigerate for several hours to overnight before serving.
- Serve as a dip with tortilla chips or as a salad.
Your question and comments are welcome