Asparagus, Collards and Rice Casserole in a Tofu Cream Sauce
1-1/2 lbs. Asparagus
1-1/2 lbs. Collard Greens
1 Onion, large, diced
4-6 Garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp. Oregano, dried
1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper (optional)
1 lb. Tofu, firm
1 tsp. Turmeric, powder
4 Carrots, large
2/3 cup Lemon Juice
2/3 cup Nutritional Yeast
3 tbsp. Corn Starch
2 cups Brown Rice cooked in 4 cups of water
- Peel and dice the onion and peel and mince the Garlic and place in
a large covered glass baking dish and precook for about 5 minutes in a
microwave oven on "high", or in a conventional oven at 350 degrees F.
- Begin to cook the Brown Rice in a separate pot on the stove top.
- Thoroughly wash the collard greens and coarsely shred in a food
processor or by cutting with a knife. Add the shredded collard greens,
oregano, and cayenne pepper to the onions in the baking dish and cook
for about 10 minutes or until the collard greens become tender. Mix
every 5 minutes to insure even cooking.
- While the collards are cooking, wash the asparagus spears, trim off
the bottom 1/4 inch and cut into 1 to 1-1/2 inch lengths. Add the
asparagus to the baking dish and continue cooking for another 10
minutes, mixing every five minutes.
- Place the tofu, lemon juice, peeled and cut carrots, turmeric,
nutritional yeast, and corn starch in a high speed blender. Cover and
blend on "high speed" until creamy smooth.
- When the asparagus and collards are tender, add the cooked rice and
the blenderized tofu ingredients and mix thoroughly. Cover and place
back into the microwave or conventional oven and cook for another 5
minutes. Mix again and cook for another 5 minutes or until the casserole
Your question and comments are welcome