From Christian Vegetarian Association (CVA)
1 pkg. manicotti
1 pkg. frozen, chopped spinach, defrosted
lots of garlic & plenty of good olive oil
1.2 cup chop parsley
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano & dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 block medium tofu, drained
1/2 lb white mushrooms, stemmed and sliced thin
1/2 cup sherry or dry vermouth
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon paprika
salt and pepper to taste
1 med onion, finely chopped
1 large jar prepared or homemade marinara sauce
- Boil noodles per package instructions.
- Pre-heat oven too 350F.
- Meanwhile, saute onions in olive oil over medium heat until
translucent and browned on edges. Add as much pressed garlic as you
like. Just as the garlic becomes fragrant, add the sliced mushrooms and
continue to cook over
- medium heat until most of the juice released by the mushrooms is
evaporated. Add herbs, yeast and vermouth.
- Continue to cook until most liquid is once again evaporated.
Crumble in tofu and add spinach.
- Adjust seasonings and continue to cook over medium heat until
flavors are well blended (~10 more minutes). Stir in the parsley at the
- Cool filling and noodles (this is very important, trying to
stuff hot noodles with even hotter stuffing is not fun). Hold noodle
upright and closed on one end.
- Spoon in just enough stuffing to make the noodle fat but without
splitting its sides.
- Place stuffed noodle in a glass baking dish and start work on the
- Repeat until all six noodles are stuffed and lying neatly in
the baking dish.
- Cover manicotti with marinara sauce and bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve with yummy vegan bread.
Preparation time: 1.5 hours.
Read more at