Sweet Potato Vegetarian Lasagna
(from The Engine 2 Diet)
•1 onion, chopped
•1 small head of garlic, all cloves chopped or pressed
•8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
•1 head broccoli, chopped
•2 carrots, chopped
•2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
•1 can corn, rinsed and drained
•1 package Silken Lite tofu
•½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
•1 teaspoon oregano
•1 teaspoon basil
•1 teaspoon rosemary
•2 jars pasta sauce
•2 boxes whole grain lasagna noodles
•16 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained
•2 sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
•6 roma tomatoes, sliced thin
•1 cup raw cashews, ground
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sauté the onion and garlic on high heat for 3 minutes in a wok
or nonstick pan. Add the mushrooms and cook until the onions are
limp and the mushrooms give up their liquid. Remove them to a large
bowl with a slotted spoon. Reserve the mushroom liquid in the pan.
- Sauté the broccoli and carrots for 5 minutes and add to the
mushroom bowl. Sauté the peppers and corn until just beginning to
soften. Add them to the vegetable bowl.
- Drain the silken tofu by wrapping in paper towels. Break it up
directly in the towel and mix into the vegetable bowl. Add spices to
the vegetable bowl and combine.
To assemble the vegetable lasagna:
- Cover the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch casserole with a layer of
sauce. Add a layer of noodles. Cover the noodles with sauce. This
way the noodles cook in the oven, saving time and energy.
- Spread the vegetable mixture over the sauced noodles. Cover
with a layer of noodles and another dressing of sauce. Add the
spinach to the second layer of sauced noodles. Cover the spinach
with the mashed sweet potatoes.
- Add another layer of sauce, the final layer of noodles, and a
last topping of sauce. Cover the lasagna with thinly sliced roma
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove the
foil, sprinkle with the cashews, and return to the oven for 15
minutes. Let lasagna sit for 15 minutes before serving.
Makes 10 - 12 servings of sweet potato lasagna.
Your question and comments are welcome