8 oz (225g) wholemeal flour
4 oz (115g) very cold vegan margarine
tablespoon cold water
1 lb (450g) fresh
spinach, washed and shredded
2 tbsp vegetable oil
4 oz (115g) mushrooms, sliced
12 oz (340g)
tofu, pressed to remove excess water
1/2 tbsp dried dill, or to
Seasoning to taste
2 tbsp sunflower
1. Start with the pastry: sift
together flour and salt. Use finger tips to rub in the margarine
until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add just enough cold water
to bind it to a dough, then wrap in cling film and leave in the
fridge for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook the spinach gently in a saucepan in a minimum
of water, or preferably steam it, until just soft.
3. Heat the oil and fry the onion until it begins to soften,
then add the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes more.
4. Either mash the tofu, or blend it to make a thick puree. Add
dill, plenty of finely chopped parsley and seasoning. Stir in the
mushroom mixture and spinach.
5. On a floured board roll out the pastry, then use it to line a
medium-sized flan dish (or ring standing on a baking sheet). Pour in
the tofu, spinach and mushroom mixture, smooth the top and sprinkle
6. Bake at 190C/375F/gas mark 5 for about half an hour, or until
the pastry is crisp. Serve hot.
Your question and comments are welcome