From Christian Vegetarian Association (CVA)
Asian Noodle Bowl with Seared Tempeh
Serving Amount: 4
Prep Time: 40 Minutes
1 pkg Organic Soy Tempeh®
6 oz thin rice noodles (vermicelli style)
1/8 tsp oriental sesame seed oil
2 Tbsp plus 1 Tbsp canola oil
2/3 c 1 1/2 inch long, matchstick-cut red bell pepper
1/2 c 1 1/2 inch long, matchstick-cut carrot
1/2 c thin diagonally sliced snow peas
2 large green onions, diagonally sliced
Fresh basil leaves, chiffonade; cilantro sprigs; or 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted
sesame seed (optional)
- Prepare sauce; set aside. See recipe below.
- Place noodles in large bowl. Pour over boiling water to cover. Let
stand about 10 minutes or until softened. Rinse with cold water; squeeze to
- Cut noodles in half or thirds; return noodles to bowl. Add
sesame oil; toss until evenly coated. Set noodles aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil over medium-high heat in
medium, heavy skillet.
- Add half of the tempeh to the skillet in a single
layer. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden and crisp, turning pieces
over halfway during cooking.
- Transfer to medium bowl. Repeat with 1
tablespoon of canola oil and remaining tempeh. Pour half of the sauce
mixture over the tempeh in bowl; toss to coat tempeh. Set tempeh aside.
- To the hot skillet, add remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Add bell pepper,
carrot, snow peas, and green onions; cook and stir about 1 minute or until
- Transfer to bowl with noodles. Add tempeh mixture; gently toss
- To serve, spoon noodle mixture into individual bowls; drizzle with
remaining sauce. If desired, garnish with basil, cilantro, or sesame seed.
Makes 4 (1 1/2 cup) servings.
Sweet-Sour Asian Sauce:
Combine 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
teaspoon crushed red pepper
If desired, stir in 1/4 teaspoon grated fresh
Makes about 1 cup.
Asian Noodle Wraps with Seared Tempeh:
- Prepare noodle
mixture as directed above.
- To serve, spoon about 1/2 cup of the noodle
mixture onto each of 12 large leaf or iceberg lettuce leaves; fold or roll
- Serve with remaining sauce for dipping.
Makes about 12 wraps or 4 servings.
See more Vegan Recipes