From Christian Vegetarian Association (CVA)
Vegan Banana Coffee Bread
Ground flax seed - 2 tablespoons
Water - 3 tablespoons
Coffee - 3 tablespoons
Bananas - 4 large, mashed
Olive oil - 2 tablespoons (or 1/2 cup yogurt or 1/2 cup apple sauce)
Molasses - 1/4 cup
Whole-wheat flour - 1 cup
Unbleached white flour - 1 cup
Pumpkin pie spice - 1 tablespoons
Cinnamon - 1 teaspoon
Sugar - 1/3 cup
Salt - 1 teaspoon
Baking soda - 1 teaspoon
Walnuts - 3/4 cup, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray the bottom of a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk or blend the flax water and coffee until frothy.
- Mix the mashed bananas, olive oil (yogurt/apple sauce), flax and molasses.
- Mix the dry ingredients - flour, sugar, spices, salt, and baking soda.
- Combine wet and dry and mix until well blended. Add walnuts
- Pour the batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes. After 50 minutes check with knife or toothpick by
sticking it in the
bread. If it comes out clean; itís done. If it has some batter on it, cook a
little longer. If it still
needs to cook longer but is already quite browned, place foil over the top
to stop it from
- Remove and let cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve with coffee or tea. You can spread it with peanut butter
or jam if you like.
Tip: You can add vegan chocolate chips, carob chips or peanut butter to
the bread batter if you like.
Read more at