Ingredients (use vegan versions):
7 slices whole wheat bread, broken into large pieces
olive oil, as needed
3/4 cup celery, minced
3/4 cup white onion, chopped
1/2 cup carrot, minced
1 small green pepper, minced
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
16 ounces firm, regular tofu, pressed (I like vacuum sealed White Wave)
2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet. In a food processor or blender, whirl vegan bread pieces into fine crumbs. Place on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until dired and toasty. Remove from oven and set aside.
2. Brush a skillet with oil and cook celery, onion, carrot, pepper and parsley until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Pulse tofu in food processor to a cottage cheese consistency, being careful not to puree it. In a large bowl, combine the tofu, sauteed vegetable mixture, 1/2 cup of the breadcrumbs, mayonnaise and seasoning. Mix well.
4. Using about 1/3 cup for each cake, form mixture into 10 patties about 3″ across and 1/2″ thick. Coat each patty with remaining bread crumbs to cover.
5. Place patties on prepared sheet, and spray tops lightly with cooking spray. Bake 15 minutes. Carefully turn cakes over and return to the oven to bake until second side is toasty and browned, about 10 minutes.
Serves: 5, Preparation time: 1/2 hour