Horse Drawn Carriages
Animal Rights Articles
Moo-ving people toward compassionate living
For information on what you
can do to help, please visit:
Poor Treatment of Carriage Horses in the Gili Islands
From Jakarta Animal Aid
The horses that have to live and work on these islands, lead a miserable life because their owners do not know how to take care of them properly.
Since the quantity and severity of the complaints about the Gili horses were shocking, JAAN decided to conduct a survey from April 1-9, 2010.
JAAN visited all 3 islands, but spend most time on Gili Trawangan since it is the most populated and busiest location with the most carriage horses.
All horse owners and their horses were visited and a meeting was held on April 4 where JAAN shared some general advise about horse care.
JAAN also discussed the problems the horse owners deal with the most, for example diseases.
Findings from JAANís Survey:
- Horses are forced to work long hours without weight limits
- Horses are not provided shelter from the sun during working hours.
- There are no Veterinarians and no Ferriers/Blacksmiths on the Islands.
- Some horse owners donít trim the horse feet leading to badly shaped hooves; a very painful condition for the horses having to put so much weight on their feet.
- Horses are forced to work for construction sites after pulling carriages
- Horses were standing in 20 cm of mud and manure, with infected feet.
- The sand is so deep on some roads that the horses can hardly pull the heavy weight through the sand. They are beaten badly at this point.
- Horses on Gili Trawangan are provided salty water from the wells only. The horse owners donít buy fresh water for their horses. Nor will they let their horses drink fresh water when offered out of fear of disease.
- The average life span of a horse on Gili Trawangan is 3 years only.
- Horse owners use archaic and appalling therapies for ailing horses
Tourists are disgusted by the inhumane treatment of Carriage Horses and this will have a negative impact on the Islandsí tourism when they choose to spend their tourist dollars at other destinations.
Return to Horse Drawn Carriages
Return to Animal Rights Articles
Return to all-creatures.org Home Page
We welcome your comments:
Fair Use Notice: This document may contain copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owners. We believe that this not-for-profit, educational use on the Web constitutes a fair use of the copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law). If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
All Creatures Animal Rights Article: justice, peace, love, compassion, ethics,
organizations, Bible, God, Lord, Jesus, Christ, Holy Spirit, grass roots, animals, cruelty
free, lifestyle, hunting, fishing, trapping, farm, farming, factory, fur, meat, slaughter, cattle, beef, pork, chicken, poultry, hens, battery, debeaking. Thee is also a similarity to the human aspects of prolife, pro life, pro-life, abortion, capital punishment, and war.
| Home Page | Animal Issues | Archive | Art and Photos | Articles | Bible | Books | Church and Religion | Discussions | Health | Humor | Letters | Links | Nature Studies | Poetry and Stories | Quotations | Recipes | What's New? |
Thank you for visiting all-creatures.org.